PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE COMPLETING APPLICATION FORM
Thank you for applying to join the CPP as a student member. We are a professional body of Phytotherapists dedicated to excellence in the practice of botanical medicine. Our core focus is on continuing professional education in herbal medicine and in the development of Phytotherapy as a credible and dynamic modern healthcare modality.
For the purposes of the CPP, Phytotherapy may be defined as follows:
Phytotherapy is the practice of modern western herbal medicine. It is a rational approach based upon a combination of understanding the contemporary scientific evidence-base for herbal medicine, appreciating the insights that can be gained from traditional herbal medicine texts and records [ethnobotanical sources] and learning from clinical experience by ongoing reflective practice. Phytotherapists seek to work collaboratively with other healthcare professionals and researchers, and are committed to the concept of integrated healthcare. Phytotherapy represents the future of herbal medicine – as an informed, responsible and versatile mainstream healthcare modality.
The CPP was founded in 1991 to meet the needs of those herbal practitioners dedicated to practising Phytotherapy as their sole, or at the very least their key, therapeutic discipline. We would expect our student members to follow this rule.
We are committed to an integrated approach to healthcare in general, but we are dedicated to ensuring that the identity of Phytotherapy as a distinct modality is protected. We wish to ensure that members of the public booking a consultation with a member of the CPP do actually receive a Phytotherapy consultation and treatment and not a variable combination of other approaches, particularly those that may not be in keeping with the definition of Phytotherapy given above.
The CPP is concerned that certain diagnostic and therapeutic techniques used by some herbal practitioners are lacking in credibility and that use of these may not be in the best interests of patients. As a body of practitioners we prefer to distance ourselves from such practices, instead promoting well-justified strategies for enhancing health with herbal medicine.
Benefits of membership
- Reduced CPD seminar fees.
- Reduced fee on purchases of the British Herbal Pharmacopeia.
- Regular email updates from Pam Bull.
- CPP student membership is available to any student studying herbal medicine at a recognised teaching institution in the UK.
- Acceptance as a student member of the CPP will not automatically ensure acceptance as a full member of the CPP on completion of the student’s studies. Application for full membership will still have to be completed on graduation from an EHTPA accredited teaching institution. Applications from non-EHTPA accredited teaching institutions will be judged on a case-by-case basis.
- Application for student membership can be made at any stage of the course. However, membership will cease if the student leaves the training course, unless there are mitigating circumstances. Refunding of the application fee will not be possible under any circumstances.
- Student membership will cost £20.00 per CPP year [1 April – 31 March].
- All student members will be entitled to a reduced cost for attending CPP CPD seminars (i.e. £10.00).
You will be required to provide one referee as part of your application. Once we receive your application, we will contact your referee.